Ironically it was Kevin Spacey in a career making role who once uttered the words “The greatest trick the devil ever played was convincing the world he didn’t exist.”
The following statements about a sitting President of the United States are not in dispute;
1) He is the subject of an ongoing counter intelligence investigation and has acted in ways previously unimaginable of the world’s most powerful man,
2) The majority of our citizenry strongly disapprove of the man himself, his agenda and his job performance,
3) There is credible evidence that he may not have been legitimately elected by and may not in fact be working for the American electorate,
4) Vladimir Putin, a former KGB agent who has never once prior acted to advance America’s best interest, invested numerous Russian resources to help Trump secure the Republican nomination and win the ensuing presidential election,
5) Trump has passed along classified information and otherwise placed our nation’s security at grave risk due to his wanton disregard for classified information, intelligence assessments and diplomacy,
6) He has politicized the Department of Justice, attacked private citizens and threatened political opponents and regularly denigrates our free press and intelligence agencies,
7) Openly uses presidential platform and powers to commit obstruction of justice and to profit off the office.
Each of these statements in an of itself present an unprecedented risk to our Republic. They demand a proactive and unconventional response.
Yet, as I scan the headlines from the past week: the alternative state of the union, the testimony of Acting AG Whitaker, the budget compromise passed by Congress, the Democratic race for 2020, the confirmation of AG Barr, the impending “national emergency;” it’s as if Donald Trump is just another unpopular President with the best of misguided intention.
Perhaps it is I who live in a twilight zone but why legitimize the message and provide the theater that comes along with a traditional state of the union. How do we allow an unvetted sycophant to appear before Congress and make an open mockery of our Justice Department?
How do we continue to confirm the nominees of a man who is unqualified to nominate them? This shouldn’t be political. It defies logic. It’s understandable that Democrats do not want to be perceived as bad guys or unwilling to compromise but there are times when good leadership requires just that. The willingness to do something bold and unpopular.
Donald Trump doesn’t play by the rules. He is willing to make up a phony national emergency, endanger our troops, go to who knows what length really if it means he gets to claim victory. You can’t give him the opportunity.
Here’s the truth. Trump took 800,000 federal employees hostage. Democrats negotiated with a terrorist. As a result they now have a crappy deal. Sure it keeps the government open but it fails to solve any immigration issues, gives credence to the concept of a wall and Trump further strengthens his Executive power by declaring a national emergency.
Oh yeah, spoiler alert: it’s never been about the god damn wall. It’s all about the emergency powers he’s about to exert on California and other border states. The consolidation of power that by taking the high road Democrats just handed the rising authoritarian.
The constitutional crisis is here! We can’t afford to wait for the coffee cup to shatter to realize Keyser Soze sat before us this whole time. We must take bold action. Consolidate and form a real opposition. Lead the people in daily protest from the steps of the capital. Shut down all government business until such time it is independently confirmed that Donald Trump was hired by and is working for the American people