Feel the Trickle

This is the very picture of trickle down economics.

Piles of cash amass and the bank accounts of the millionaires swell, as the snake oil and commands for more trickle down to those below.

Welcome to our the kakistocracy. The future of Trump’s America. The cost of deregulation. The price of unbridled capitalism.

Profits Over People

It’s funny that the same individuals who defend capitalism as the end all be all don’t seem to understand a basic principle of it. The entire model is premised on supply and DEMAND. States may allow all the bowling alleys, massage parlors and hair and nail salons they have to open up but who do you think is going to show up?

Polls show that up to 70% of people favor continued stay at home orders. Sure these businesses may see an initial surge from the other 30% but then what? Each of these consumer driven commodities depend on sustained DEMAND to meet operational costs.

This is all a scam. Without normal demand these businesses will fail in the not to distant future. Employees of these businesses afraid to return to work will now be laid off for cause and removed from unemployment ranks. Those who do report put themselves at heightened risk of contracting Covid and are removed from the current unemployment numbers. Others who currently receive unemployment will be kicked off for failing to seek new opportunity. Small businesses will soon find themselves bankrupt. Forced to permanently shutter their doors with no hope of a Covid related bailout.

There is no logical reason to open up non-essential recreational business at this time. The sustained demand is not yet there. The short terms benefits only serve to advance the agendas of the haves and this administration and their GOP allies. It’s a transparent choice of profits over people and a dereliction of leadership. A clear illustration of how greed, not socialism, is the true enemy of capitalism and will prove its ultimate downfall. This isn’t a political issue, it’s common sense.

Greed is the Word

The greatest threat to capitalism has never been socialism. That’s just a boogeyman to distract you from the real enemy, greed.

The insatiable appetites and desires of those who lust for unimaginable masses of riches and will go to any lengths imaginable to gain it. The gluttony of those who rig the system to hang on to what’s theirs and to instill artificial barriers to entry to prevent others from obtaining market share. The insecurities that lead those in power to legislate a permanent caste system to protect their future generations and insulate them from competition.

Make no mistake. The greatest threat to the “American Dream” is Donald Trump, Mitch McConnell, the Koch brothers and the old money white aristocracy that makes up the majority of today’s GOP and Senate. The very people who seek to sow fear and marginalize Democratic Socialists do so with the worst of intent.

There’s a reason greed is a deadly sin. Ultimately it will destroy whatever it touches. A free market economic system based on merit and public value is no exception. That those who most benefitted from that system now sit back and cheer its destruction is hardly a surprise. It’s one thing for a talented tycoon to inherit his way to the top, it’s a whole other thing to stay there.

Hamilton and the designers of our capitalist system were aware of the danger of avarice and market manipulation. It’s why they so many legislative safeguards and checks and balances were designed to mitigate the risk of greed (not socialism). Unfortunately those guardrails were meant to protect us against individual beings, not political parties, corporate conglomerates, lobbies and unidentifiable PACs. When the courts extended inalienable rights typically reserved for those with flesh, blood and a pulse to these nebulous and nefarious groups they essentially short circuited our republic. Our checks and balances were not designed for the modern world. Our constitutional rule book no longer applies